UW-Stout’s hybrid online Bachelor of Science in Marketing and Business Education (MBE) is ideal if you're committed to living or working away from campus. The program provides you with a balanced educational background across education, training, marketing, and business career pathways.
Enhanced Online Learning
Our full-time tenured faculty have created an enhanced online learning environment with curriculum design for:
- Individuals who desire to teach but have difficulty relocating to UW-Stout to earn a degree
- People who have been hired under an emergency license
- Teachers seeking additional licenses
The courses can be completed in as little as 2.5 years with significant transfer credits. Technical courses in the major/discipline area can be taken at UW-Stout or your closest technical college. The required general education courses can be taken online through UW-Stout or another accredited college or university.
Our Marketing and Business Education program combines general education studies with marketing and business technical courses and professional education courses. You will be ready for employment opportunities in both education and business settings.
Flexible Career Paths
- Marketing and/or business education in a secondary school setting
- Training and Development in business and industry
- Marketing for industry or business
- Management in business and industry
What our graduates say about MBE
“UW-Stout feels like home. I knew this is where I needed to be. Getting to know people in your major is really important. It makes you feel like you have a support system, and they also understand what you are going through.”
-- Joanna Lee
"Marketing and business education allows me to teach students skills that they can apply throughout their lives, whether they are looking to expand on their knowledge in a college or university setting or enter the workforce.”
-- Logan Horn
“UW-Stout prepared me to teach by having excellent programs. The professors build great rapport with their students, and you’re not just considered a number. I felt very comfortable reaching out to them when I had questions or needed career advice. They prepared me to approach teaching in a similar way.”
-- Kathleen Thorn
"The program allowed me to combine my interests in education with business and marketing. I was frightened to transfer my junior year not knowing anyone, but everyone I met at UW-Stout made me feel welcome and like I belonged."
-- Samantha Martell
As an MBE program graduate, you will be prepared to teach within middle and high school classrooms. The program curriculum satisfies teaching licensure requirements as well as develops depth in the technical subjects of business, marketing, or both — depending on the student's selected program of study.
100% of our graduates are employed or continuing education.
Value for Your Money
Online customized instruction at UW Stout can be described as programs that are designed with the adult learner in mind. If you're comparing UW-Stout's online degree customized instruction (CI) tuition to our competitors, keep in mind:
- Customized instruction tuition rate includes the textbook rental fee.
- There are no additional university-based semester or technology fees.
- Students in customized instruction programs pay the same rate of tuition regardless if Wisconsin residents, out-of-state or international participants.
There’s more to value than just tuition. UW Stout also provides:
- Program Director – faculty with discipline expertise.
- Student Services adviser – one point of contact, providing support to students for each program.
- Course sequences and matrices – know what courses are offered when so you can plan ahead.
- Courses and programs may be stackable for use in another program.
- Courses are flexible and convenient for working professionals.
Other universities will present costs and value differently - make sure you're comparing apples to apples.
Use the Request Information form to receive a program summary and learn more about the Bachelor of Science degree in Marketing and Business Education.
To apply for the on-campus or online Bachelor of Science degree in Marketing and Business Education, you need to apply to UW-Stout.
Students who are attending another institution, but are planning to receive their degree from UW-Stout, may be eligible to receive aid from UW‐Stout. In these cases, UW‐Stout is considered the Home Institution and the other campus is considered the Visiting Institution.Transfer Students
Note: When filling out the application form, be sure to make a note in the student comment section that you intend to apply to the "online program."
New First-Year Students
- There are no additional requirements for new first-year students.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher from the last institution attended.
Students who meet this requirement will be admitted to the university in their chosen Education major. Subsequent acceptance into a teacher education major and enrollment in professional education coursework will require successful completion of Benchmark I requirements. Additional information can be found at the School of Education website.
Students whose cumulative GPA is lower than the 2.75 will be reviewed and considered on a case-by-case basis for admission consideration.
High school students planning to attend UW-Stout’s MBE program should prepare by taking traditional college preparatory classes. In addition, high school students should explore their interests by taking courses such as, principles of marketing, desktop publishing, accounting, sports and entertainment marketing, personal finance, sales and advertising promotion, intro to business, international marketing, and entrepreneurship. Previous work experience in business and marketing is beneficial. Students may also benefit from co-op and internship experiences. Participation in school organizations such as DECA, BPA, FBLA, and others is beneficial.
During your first semesters at UW-Stout, you enroll in general education courses and a sampling of business and education courses. As you progress, business and marketing courses prepare you to be the technical expert. You will also take courses that evolve your communication skills, refine your leadership capacity, and develop your creative, innovative and inventive approaches to solving emerging business and marketing opportunities.
Professional Education Courses Include:
- Introduction to Marketing and Business Education
- Psychology of Education
- Marketing and Business Education Methods
- Technical Courses Include:
- Principles of Marketing
- Financial Accounting
- Professional Selling and Market Development
- Contemporary Software Applications
- International Business or Marketing
- Business Management
Beyond the Classroom
MBE students at UW-Stout benefit through their participation in extracurricular activities. Students are encouraged to become a member of the Marketing and Business Education Association (MBEA) as freshmen and continue their involvement until graduation. MBEA members annually plan and host the DECA District 1 Conference, attend regional and state FBLA and DECA leadership conferences, as well many social activities. MBEA members have access to networking opportunities and professional development conferences that will give them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Prior to obtaining licensure students must amass 4,000 hours of industry related work experience. Most students obtain the required work hours while working before and throughout their college career. The hours required for licensure are not required for graduation.
You will acquire ideas, knowledge, and skills through real-world classroom situations and apply them in real-world education and business settings.
UW-Stout MBE students are part of a program that:
- Immerses you in business and marketing coursework through the UW-Stout College of Management.
- Engages you in experiential learning through its laptop initiative and its learning-centered in-field experiences.
- Exposes you to passionate and experienced faculty and advisors that are connected with the marketing and business education community across the state and nation.
- Provides you with the career flexibility you need in an ever-changing world.
- Prepares you to choose a career in teaching marketing and business and/or enter a wide range of business, marketing and management positions.
- Supports you with caring program faculty and individualized advisement so you can efficiently achieve your academic goals.
- Develops your leadership and management competence through a built-in business administration minor.
- Expands your network through its professional student organization known as the Marketing and Business Association (WMEA, WBEA, DECA and FBLA affiliated).
"Passionate and inventive individuals effectively compete in a world that communicates at the speed of light and moves ideas, products, services and people fluidly across borders and cultures. Allow yourself to compete in this world by exploring the possibilities of a degree in Marketing and Business Education at UW-Stout."
Urs Haltinner, MBE Program Faculty
On the average, about 50 percent of MBE graduates accept teaching positions immediately following commencement. Another 50 percent accept positions in business and industry. Often, after working in business for several years, MBE program graduates seek employment in education.
MBE graduates, who have become teachers, teach middle and high school classes including principles of marketing, personal finance, sales and advertising promotion, and accounting. Graduates are also teaching in technical and community colleges, and four-year universities throughout the United States and even in other countries. Advanced career opportunities include athletic directors, director of instruction, principals and vice-principals, district administrators, and school counselors.
Program graduates working in the industry have worked in financial services, medical sales, convention planning, sales, as business owners, and purchasing agents.
2022 MBE Advisory Board
|Allyson Barka||Program Manager, Northwest District||Junior Achievement|
|Rachel Bausman||Business & Marketing Teacher||Blaine High School|
|Andrew Behnke||Business Teacher||Northstar Middle School|
|Marc Busko||Business & Marketing Teacher, MBE Distance Delivery Student||Wilmot Union High School|
|Melissa Devery||Business & Marketing Teacher||Plum City High School|
|Tim Fandek||Marketing Education Curriculum Consultant||Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction|
|Urs Haltinner||Program Faculty, CEHHHS||UW-Stout|
|Jennifer Jackson||Business Education Program Consultant||Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction|
|John Kleven||Post-Secondary Marketing & Business Education||Chippewa Valley Technical College|
|Sarah Kocken||Program Manager, Stout Online||UW-Stout|
|Julie Miller||Distance Delivery Student||UW-Stout|
|Craig Moore||Assistant Professor, COM||UW-Stout|
|David Nyquist||Business Management Faculty||WITC|
|Mikayla Obsuszt||MBE Student, MBE & MBEA Student Rep.||UW-Stout|
|Brittnie Prock||Marketing Teacher||Eau Claire North High School|
|Deanna Schultz||Associate Dean, School of Education||UW-Stout|
|Debbie Stanislawski||Professor, MBE Program Director, CEHHS||UW-Stout|
|Kathleen Thorn||Middle and High School Marketing & Business Teacher||Colfax School District|
|Scott Vaver||Senior Lecturer, Business||UW-Stout|