Note: Admission to the Communication Studies and Rhetoric Certificate has been suspended. Questions may be directed to Greg Schneider-Bateman, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This 12-credit online graduate professional development certificate provides you with an excellent way to learn about foundational, rhetorical theories and useful communication studies research and theory. By achieving the learning objectives outlined below, you will not only earn a valuable credential but also take your workplace practice to the next level. Baccalaureate holders with degrees outside of communication studies, English or professional communication will find this certificate to be a useful way to credential themselves in communication, a valuable competency in any workplace.
- Recognize the basic principles and elements of rhetoric.
- Comprehend the intersection of interpersonal and organizational communication research as it applies to one’s professional life.
- Communicate the proper vocabulary and critical tools for constructing, analyzing, interpreting, and evaluating texts and designs.
- Evaluate interpersonal communication patterns in an organizational context.
- Interpret current events and contemporary understandings of what writing, oral communication, and human interaction are and do using rhetorical theory.
- Identify and apply appropriate ethical behavior to various interpersonal and organizational contexts.
- Evaluate the impact of rhetoric upon current styles and organizational techniques of oral presentation, electronic communication, graphic design and page layout, and Internet publishing.
- Construct texts, designs, and communication that effectively demonstrate a strong connection between the moral component of persuasion and effective communication.
- Plan, execute and investigate the effectiveness of a visually oriented communication design project.
- Evaluate and conduct interpersonal and organizational research.
- COMST-508 Business and Professional Speaking (3 cr.)
- COMST-710 Advanced Interpersonal Communication for Professionals (3 cr.)
- ENGL-720 Rhetorical Theory (3 cr.)
- ENGL-740 Visual Rhetoric (3 cr.)
*Review the MS TPC Course Planner to see when courses are tentatively planned to be offered.
Admission Requirements and Application Materials
To apply to the certificate program, please complete the online application form.
Additionally, the following program-specific materials are required at the time of application:
- Official transcripts submitted to Graduate School
- Provide a 500-word statement that addresses your academic history, employment history, and professional goals. Include a discussion of your expectations for online learning and examples of your readiness to participate in an online learning environment.
Tuition & Fees
Customized Instruction at UW Stout can be described as programs that are designed with the adult learner in mind. If you're comparing UW-Stout's customized instruction tuition to our competitors, keep in mind:
- Customized instruction tuition rate includes the textbook rental fee.
- There are no additional university-based semester or technology fees.
- Students in customized instruction programs pay the same rate of tuition regardless if Wisconsin residents, out-of-state or international participants.
Value for Your Money
There’s more to value than just tuition. UW Stout also provides:
- Program Director – faculty with discipline expertise.
- Student Services adviser – one point of contact, providing support to students for each program.
- Course sequences and matrices – know what courses are offered when so you can plan ahead.
- Courses and programs may be stackable for use in another program.
- Courses are flexible and convenient for working professionals.
Other universities will present costs and value differently - make sure you're comparing apples to apples.