Blue Devil Jazz Project
The UW-Stout Blue Devil Jazz Project is a unique ensemble that will provide music for activities, celebrations, and festivities on the UW-Stout campus and community. We have performed at football games, basketball games, the Chancellor’s inauguration, commencement ceremonies, and jazz concerts.
- The group would be best described as a New Orleans style street jazz ensemble. It might be compared to a pep band but the music is better.
- We move and perform in the street, at outside venues, or for indoor stationary performances. The group does not move in the military-style formations associated with marching bands, but rather moves casually as a unit with simple musical accompaniment, stopping occasionally to perform more complex numbers.
- Music would be joyous and rhythmic, reminiscent of New Orleans or Kansas City jazz with a modern sound. We model our sound on that of groups like the Rebirth Brass Band and the Youngblood Brass Band.
- Instrumentation will be based on typical jazz instrumentation of saxophones, trumpets, trombones, and drums with sousaphone as bass. You do not have to have jazz experience or improvise to participate. The group is typically 15-20 members.
- We rehearse on Fridays 3:35-5:00 pm but there will be some flexibility with rehearsal times.